Home » General » Pre-Sales » TF2 Gameserver?
Thu, 13 May 2010 06:55 Go to next message
Hello. I'm doing research for a clan. Dedicated gameservers are pretty expensive, so I suggested installing the linux TF2 server on a VPS, which is a bit cheaper. But of course, I don't know much about VPS's, so I have a few questions...

1) I'm not sure how much RAM TF2 servers consume, but the best guess is 200-500MB depending on the map. Lots of that can be swapped, but at least a few hundred megabytes has to remain in memory. If X amount of RAM isn't enough, is it possible to easily upgrade plans for that month, paying the difference?

We'd likely have to flip plans upwards or downwards a few times while trying out different configurations, to see if they impact performance. City to Town, or vice versa.

1b) And when a plan mentions "Burst RAM", is that swapped memory, or just extra RAM split between every VPS on that node?

2) Debian is probably the best OS, because a TF2 server has few requirements, and Debian has the least running by default? I have more experience with Debian and Ubuntu than CentOS, which is why I'm leaning that way.

3) Each slot on a TF2 server can consume up to 20KB/sec. Would a City plan have access to at least 24*20*2 = 960KB/sec upstream bandwidth? I realize these servers are probably all on 100mbit lines, but if there's ~30+ VPS's on a box, it might be an issue?

4) CPU time. Apparently TF2 servers easily run off a 1.5ghz P4 - which is certainly weaker than quad-core Xeon. A 3ghz Xeon would be about 16-20x faster, because of the doubled ghz, per-ghz efficiency, and extra cores. Do you think a City plan has enough CPU available to manage it, or would it likely be choked by other VPS's on the node?

Keep in mind that unlike a web server, a game server scales from playable and lag free to laggy and unplayable in very little time. Wink

5) Is there any sort of money-back guarantee or reduced rate while we experiment with a VPS to see if it suits our needs?

I'll probably think up more questions tomorrow.

Thanks,
Thu, 13 May 2010 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Here are some answers for you.

We have many customers running game servers.

You can certainly start with a Town or City and upgrade instantly if you need to. You can also downgrade instantly. You don't need to pay for that service, but you will need to pay for the plan you are on when your credit runs out.

Debian is a great choice, its easy to configure, efficient and stable.

960KB/s is about 10mbit/sec, so thats no problem on any plan. Our servers are actually on gigabit links.

I doubt CPU will be an issue and we have a 30 day money back guarantee in case you change your mind.
Thu, 13 May 2010 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

If 960 KB/s truly is your bandwidth requirement it might end up being your bottleneck. I just did a quick test on my city serve to/from another server (school server) that I know can do 7-8 MB/s and got speeds of 1.4 MB/s upload and 1.6 MB/s download. Though requiring a 1 MB/s connection for a game serve does seem a little steep to me.

Something else to note is that these servers don't have swap space. You can't even create your own swap file because it's disabled in the kernel. Hence if you need 200-500 MB of memory you'll need more then a city server to host your game.

Burst ram is some sort of temporary increase in ram that I don't think I've ever noticed happen. I used to upgrade to a city server from a town server because I'm running Gentoo and installing programs requires them getting compiled from source (which can require alot of memory). A bit of swap space would have been nice, that being said, upgrading and downgrading is _very_ easy and you only pay for the upgraded server for the time slice that it was actually upgraded.

Hope this helps,
Danger
Thu, 13 May 2010 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, so that's how it works! Credit, which drains at whatever rate. Perfect. Smile

@Danger: 60% higher speeds than what we might possibly require under a worst-case scenario is pretty good.

And if we can kick it down a plan whenever it's inactive, that'd save money, too.

Now I just need to find out exactly how much RAM is required.

@Staff: How exactly does Burst RAM work?
Fri, 14 May 2010 21:15 Go to previous message
You can find out about burst RAM here: http://www.vpsville.com/terms
Previous Topic:Dedicated IPs
Next Topic:Name services and ubuntu 10.04TLS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 16 07:46:14 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.