Home » General » Pre-Sales » Can you do this??
Sat, 29 May 2010 14:29 Go to next message
I am looking to transfer my three web domains and set up a small website.
Also I want the server to host the associated email accounts as well as act as a file store so I can access files on the move

Finally act as a VPN endpoint allowing me to browse the net using a UK IP address.

The village package looks as though it would meet the bill.

Now the questions:
Can you confirm that this service / package would, with the use of suitable open source software fulfil the above requirements?
Indeed would you recommend suitable software?

How easy would it be for a 'Linux / Opensource' virgin to setup?

Would extra disk space be available for file storage and if so at what additional cost?
Sun, 30 May 2010 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not likely you could squeeze all that software into 128MB of RAM, so I'd have to say no.

Most websites require a database server, which eats up a lot of memory, and hosting email requires anti-spam/anti-virus checks, which also take up a lot of memory.

I would suggest one of our cPanel plans if you want a managed server, or a City if you plan on installing/configuring that yourself.

Wed, 09 June 2010 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for this response.

The website envisaged would not require a database -it is just a collection of fairly static pages.

On the RAM issue what typical applications can you run in that space? If you need more RAM can you not use disk space as a swapfile (albeit with a performance hit)?

Fri, 11 June 2010 14:47 Go to previous message
A static website (using no database) can be served in 64MB of RAM easily, with the burst memory being a fast form of swap. We have a premade template for that, called 'tiny webserver'.

If you need to host email, anti-spam and anti-virus, you will need a larger server.
Previous Topic:Additional Hard Disk
Next Topic:Multiple servers single billing or not?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 07:33:40 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.