Home » General » Suggestion Box » Is my VPS being monitored?
Sat, 28 August 2010 17:44 Go to next message
In a few days time, I will be moving to a place where internet access is difficult. Twice a week, I am going to have to make use of the internet cafe in a nearby town to check emails and run my web-based business.

But what if my VPS goes down and I'm not around to notice it? When my VPS goes down, nobody can see my site, nobody can contact me, and I end up losing customers.

Today, for example, my VPS stopped for a few hours. I restarted it and now it's running OK. Last week, there was a similar problem for a few hours. I couldn't restart it from my control panel, so I submitted a ticket and eventually one of your techie guys sorted it out for me.

It would have been nice if the techie guy had told me what had caused the problem. If it was something I was doing that was causing it to crash, then maybe I could do something about it but frustratingly, I wasn't told anything.

What worries me most is that nobody at your end seemed to have noticed that my VPS had a problem on either occassion.

I would have thought it would be relatively easy to send the occassional ping just to make sure everything was running smoothly.

Can you give me any assurance that somebody somewhere is monitoring my VPS, and that when something goes wrong, it will be noticed and fixed? I really don't want to find out on some future Friday that my VPS stopped running on the previous Monday.

[Updated on: Sat, 28 August 2010 17:45]

Wed, 01 September 2010 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
May I ask what plan you're on?

I noticed some are listed as self-managed.

I'm curious about what can bring down a VPS, too.
Wed, 01 September 2010 08:04 Go to previous message
We monitor managed servers, but not self-managed ones. Any kind of internal error can bring down a server. Linux is great but not perfect.

Previous Topic:StackScript Functionality
Next Topic:Simple bandwith usage check
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 18:34:18 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.