Home » Linux OS and Software » Discussion » Logging kernel messages ... or ... logging iptables messages
Mon, 23 November 2009 20:50 Go to next message
[Ubuntu 9.04]

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck logging kernel messages (as displayed by dmesg) into /var/log/kern.log?

The only thing I see in kern.log is:
kernel: Cannot find map file.
kernel: No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled.

I've checked with support and they say that all modules are enabled. I can't get all the usual commands to work (lsmod, etc) and I assume this is because of VPS limitations.

Alternatively, has anyone been able to log messages from iptables into a log in /var/log? This is my real goal. I've got the rules correct ... dmesg shows logs of the dropped packets ... but none are ever logged to the logs.

Thanks in advance,
Sandy.
Mon, 08 February 2010 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you manage to solve this problem, because I have exact same problem.
I have tried everything, I have reinstall my os several times but always some problem regarding which os I am going to use.
First I had Ubuntu 9.04 and then I had Ubuntu 8.10 and now I have 8.04. I have tried to change default syslog to rsyslog but always problem is the same, there is missing kernel modules or kernel maps.

My goal is also log the iptables messages and I am sure that my iptables rules are correct because I had tested those in other Ubuntu.
Also I can see whit dmesg that my rules are working.

I am starting to be little bit desperate so any help is good
Wed, 13 October 2010 06:48 Go to previous message
No, the problem was not solved. I did a work-around to capture iptable log messages. It may be because of the nature of the "virtual" kernels. These virtual machines don't actually run a real kernel ... there is single kernel running that virtualizes multiple sandboxes within itself.

I have a background (cron) script that runs every minute and uses "dmesg -c" to capture the kernel logs and then I log those to a file. Let me know if you want a copy of the script.
Previous Topic:Kernel Version
Next Topic:Did your Ubuntu "upgrade"?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 19:04:39 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.