Home » General » Suggestion Box » Server monitoring
Sat, 18 December 2010 16:15 Go to next message
Since my last post in this forum (see "Is my VPS being monitored?"), I have had several more periods of down-time, when my VPS has suddenly stopped and I've had no way of knowing about it.

Since my websites are my livelihood, it is obviously very important for me to know when this happens. So far (touch wood)all I've had to do when it goes down is to click 'start' on the VPS Ville Control Panel and I'm away again. What I will never know is whether I have missed an important customer during the hours of down-time.

I have now found out about 'Server Monitoring' services, which can test my website (and server) for a small monthly or annual fee. The basic service does pretty much what I want, effectively testing my server once every few minutes or so and sending me an email or an SMS if the server goes down.

This is great for me and my self-managed VPS, but wouldn't it be really great if it was part of the whole VPS Ville package?

Of course, what would be really, really, cherry on the icing on the cake cool would be if I could set up a monitor (running on a different server) that could automatically restart my server if it stops for any reason other than me clicking the stop button.
Sat, 18 December 2010 21:44 Go to previous message
You might be interested in trying out a kernel level watchdog.

See http://linux.die.net/man/8/watchdog.

I'm not sure the the VPSes they run have support for this so it might not the the cherry on the icing on the cake but perhaps it end up working and be the icing on the cake (seeing as it's not quite as robust as your suggestion).

If you can setup a watchdog I'd like to know, I haven't really had enough random drops to bother fiddling with things like that but if I'm told it's possible perhaps I'll find the time sometime ...

good luck

Danger
Previous Topic:Consolidated billing for multiple servers
Next Topic:Gentoo OS Template
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 09:35:24 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.