Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » How do i keep programs running after disconnecting from the vps?
Fri, 07 January 2011 00:06 Go to next message
yah 1 more question from a newbie, i recently set up my server, got everything i wanted installed and got the server hosting what i wanted it to, but now ive run into a problem, i start up the hosting program via putty but as soon as i close putty the hosting program stops, how can i remedy this? i googled it already and found a bunch of posts saying that making it run in the background by adding an & at the end of the command will allow it to keep running, i then used the job command to make sure it runs in the background, it does, but yet when i disconnect it still shuts down the program, so once again i turn to the forums...

oh and im using fedora 13 if that helps...

thanks

Sayo

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2011 00:07]

Fri, 07 January 2011 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a simple command line app you can use the nohup (No hangup) command line prefix.

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the rc startup script scheme and create one customized for your server app.

Take a look in /etc/init.d/README and /etc/init.d/skeleton.

Don't forget to make the script executable with 'chmod 755 your-script'.

Also, you must assign it to runlevels.

Take a look at 'man update-rc.d'.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Chris
Fri, 07 January 2011 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks again xenolith, nohup worked perfectly
Sat, 08 January 2011 01:28 Go to previous message
Another option is to use 'screen'. It allows you to have multiple shells and to keep them running while you disconnect. You can also reconnect to them later on.

Previous Topic:Running Java on low-memory environments
Next Topic:Upgrading the Gentoo Minimal Profile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 13:30:53 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.