Home » General » Pre-Sales » Are LAMP templates production ready?
Wed, 10 August 2011 15:01 Go to next message
I'm thinking about getting another VPS here (I already have one, which I'm happy with). The reason for that is that I'm thinking about moving a PHP-MySQL-site currently hosted by someone else.

My question is if the LAMP templates for Ubuntu are production ready out-of-the-box? On my old VPS I went through a couple of guides regarding security in order to for example make sure MySQL only is bound to localhost and similar stuff. That took some time and it would certainly be an upside to avoid/reduce that kind of work. What about firewalls, etc? The site I'm thinking about moving is more important than the ones hosted on my old VPS, which is why I have hesitated to move it in the first place.

I noticed that the available templates are for Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04, none of which are still supported. Do you recommend installing one of those and then do a bunch of distribution upgrades?
Sun, 14 August 2011 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

All Ubuntu LTS templates are still supported by Ubuntu, and we provide templates for the latest versions as well.

The basic templates and LAMP templates are setup just like the Ubuntu CD install, so you'd need to configure it for your specific needs. Running your own firewall using iptables is a good idea.

If you'd like to have all that done for you, check out our cPanel plans. They are production ready and are managed by us.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2011 04:17]

Sat, 20 August 2011 08:43 Go to previous message
Thanks for your reply! I got the second VPS and my site is up and running on it now.

If anyone has the same question as me and wonders how I ended up doing I'll write it down here. My first attempt was to install the latest LAMP template (9.04) and do two distribution upgrades to get to a supported LTS version (10.04). However, upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10 turned out to be a bit tricky. I found a few forum threads about it too and most of them suggested a fresh install. In the end I installed the old LAMP template and copied the config from it. I then started over with a new install, but this time I could look at the old config to get "inspiration".
Previous Topic:Billing Question
Next Topic:want canadian vps linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 20 02:59:26 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.