Home » General » Suggestion Box » Natively supporting IPv6 easily
Mon, 25 May 2009 16:17 Go to next message
Dear staff,
as a server administrator, I am very interested to the possibilities of IPv6. I currently own an openSUSE 11.1 VPS but I haven't been able yet to configure a tunnel because of problems with kernel.

I know Ipv6 quite good, so I would like to suggest you an easy implementation for all machines that can lead to ease of use for all the customers of the new Internet address space.

I already know that all VPSVille datacenters do not currently support IPv6 natively because they are not connected to IPv6 backbones.

However, IPv6 doesn't require native-v6 networks to work (though it would increase performance). IPv6, in fact, works great with IPv4 tunnels with the 6-in-4 protocol that encapsulates IPv6 packets into IPv4 packets.

Currently, you offer customers the activation of /dev/net/tun interface, and require the customer to manually obtain IPv6 addresses.

However, here are simple and no-cost steps to provide IPv6 to all VPSs, that will definitely make your service more attractive to new customers.

First of all, obtaining an Autonomous System or a large subnet from a tunnel broker like Hurricane Electric (http://tunnelbroker.net/). This will make VPSVille own an address space of IPv6 of at least 64 bits (2^64 hosts, which is 16exa-hosts Smile).

Second, enabling all kernels of the host machines with "sit" module and configure the address space to tunnel with the broker via IPv4.

Third, including sit module into all VPS kernels. Currently, openSUSE 11.0 doesn't have it, and I don't know about other systems. The final step will be configuring the venet0 interface with static IPv6 addresses.

The result is that all VPSs will see a native IPv6 network which is masked by an IPv4 tunnel that starts from the hardware node and goes straight to the tunnel broker, which will route to all the IPv6-enabled network.

Does it sound interesting?
Tue, 26 May 2009 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it sound very interesting. It would be great to offer IPv6 to our customers.

You may request to be moved to a server with IPv6 support in the kernel now, but you'll have to create your own IPv4 tunnel.
Thu, 28 May 2009 10:43 Go to previous message
staff wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 23:31

Yes it sound very interesting. It would be great to offer IPv6 to our customers.

You may request to be moved to a server with IPv6 support in the kernel now, but you'll have to create your own IPv4 tunnel.

I already have one. No problem. I'll send a request now.

Thank you. If you are concretely interested in implementing the native IPv6 service, I can be of help Wink
Previous Topic:Slackware upgrade to 12.2?
Next Topic:New OS template: openSUSE 11.1 64 bit minimal/LAMP/LAMP.NET
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 18:46:24 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.