Home » Linux OS and Software » DNS » cPanel Nameserver Setup
Wed, 18 February 2009 19:10 Go to next message
I'm a little confused with step 4 of the initial setup of cPanel/WHM. I have logged in for the first time and have been asked to select a nameserver {bind or nsd}, I have currently selected nsd as it was default.

Next I am asked to specify up to 4 name servers. Currently two are entered with ns1.com and ns2.com which I believe are incorrect. What should I be changing these to? Are they supposed to be the vpsville name servers? Or do I have to register my own nameserver for my domain. If so what is the best way to go about that.

Finally the "Add A entries for all nameservers" and "Add A entries for hostname" what exactly is an A entry and what should I be configuring this to.

Apologies for the many newb questions. Gotta learn somewhere.

Thanks,
Styan

[Updated on: Wed, 18 February 2009 19:10]

Wed, 18 February 2009 19:28 Go to previous message
To use the cPanel built in nameservers

You own a domain name, and you want your server to use it. So if your domain is example.com, here is what you'd do:

hostname: cpanel.example.com
nameservers, ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com

You would want to create A entries for all of them.

An A entry resolves the name to an IP. So if someone entered http://cpanel.example.com/whm into a browser, they would hit your server. Without the A entry that won't happen.

You would need to edit the DNS servers at your registrar to use ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com or none of that will matter.

To use our nameservers

If you want to use our nameservers, you just set the nameservers to be ns1.vpsville.ca and ns2.vpsville.ca. You don't have to worry about A entries. From the vpsville control panel, just create an entry for example.com. At the registrar you use ns1.vpsville.ca and ns2.vpsville.ca

Or you can just ask us to do it. cPanel servers are fully managed. Razz
Previous Topic:Subdomains and MX Records
Next Topic:default resolv.conf breaking spamhaus lookups
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 22 20:01:34 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.