Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » how to get started?
Tue, 03 March 2009 12:13 Go to next message
Hello,

I am a new member of VPSVille and VPS Hosting aswell. I am totaly blank and I don't know how to get started. I choosed Gnome Remote Desktop as OS. I don't know it's good or not. I want something with PHP and MySQL. plz tell me how to upload files? How to create domains?
Tue, 03 March 2009 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Running a VPS is exactly like running a dedicated server, so there isn't much specific to VPS's you need to know. Its really like having a computer in front of you and installing Linux on it, except a lot more convenient.

We do offer a LAMP template you can install from the VPSVille control panel, it comes with Apache, MySQL and PHP installed and ready to go. Alternately you could install that software yourself on your remote desktop VPS. You will need to be comfortable with the command line. Instructions on how to use the LAMP template are here: http://forum.vpsville.ca/index.php?t=msg&th=143

To upload files to any VPS, just install FileZilla and connect to your server with the sftp protocol. You don't need to install any software on your server to do that.

Thu, 05 March 2009 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help staff. It seems like I can do it. I have no experience with dedicated server and Unix/Linux. But Ive experience of using shared hosting and LAMP on my personal Computer with winXP. I just installed Debian 4.0 LAMP. Now tell me how can I access "/var/www" to upload files and then how can I create new database to connect me forum with?

is there any way to connect to Debian using remote desktop with GUI?

Take care

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2009 08:46]

Fri, 06 March 2009 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, you can get remote desktop access by installing the remote desktop template. The instructions for use are emailed to you when you install it onto your server.

To upload files to any VPS, just install FileZilla and connect to your server with the sftp protocol.
Sat, 07 March 2009 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,
I didn't received any email from your please sent it again at danish[at]djwebs.net

currently i install Debian with webmin But I don't know can I Create Databases/ new domains using webmin.. any help??
Sat, 07 March 2009 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am trying to connect to ftp with following setting in filezilla but it's not working.

Host: ftp.ip address
port: Blank
Servertype: SFTP
logon type: normal
user: root
password: ********
Sat, 07 March 2009 18:12 Go to previous message
danish wrote on Sat, 07 March 2009 10:07

I am trying to connect to ftp with following setting in filezilla but it's not working.

Host: ftp.ip address
port: Blank
Servertype: SFTP
logon type: normal
user: root
password: ********

You need to have ssh enabled on the server to use SFTP.
Your Host entry should just be your IP.

Quote:

can I Create Databases/ new domains using webmin

Webmin should allow you to create DBs via phpmyadmin. You need VirtualMin installed to do virtual hosting. The free version sucks though. You would be far better off with one of the real hosting plans.

Later,
Chris
Previous Topic:Dolphin install on cPanel
Next Topic:How to open port80
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 12:30:56 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.