Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » How does burst RAM work?
Sat, 09 May 2009 17:55 Go to next message
Hello,
I recently bought an openSUSE 11.0 "Village" VPS. It's fantastic and is working awesome! Smile

But I still have doubts about the 128MB "burst RAM" you say on the plan page (http://www.vpsville.co.uk/suse-vps). You say that the burst RAM is the quantity of RAM the VPS has "usually at disposal", and "may be unavailable a few seconds a day", but I haven't seen any 128MB yet! Smile

The problem is that running MySQL and Apache w/mod_mono drains all the available memory (mono process uses 27% as top reports). When I need to perform some administrative tasks with YaST over SSH the kernel may refuse to fork additional threads/processes, resulting in a YaST bug that says I'm not root even if I am. The same happened with MySQL before figuring out I won't be able to use InnoDB until I get more RAM (and I'm sure I'll upgrade my server, eventually... not now).

So even if I'm OK with web hosting running with 655536KB full and 0KB free, I sometimes need some extra kilobytes for a few minutes to perform my tasks. Why do I always have 64MBs?

Thank you in advance.
Sat, 09 May 2009 18:54 Go to previous message
The free command will only show guaranteed memory, and not your burst.

To see your burst memory accurately, look at the file /proc/user_beancounters for a paramter called privvmpages. The number shown is in 4K blocks, thats the burst memory you are using and have at your disposal.

Previous Topic:Exim - SMTP Authentication
Next Topic:Setting up VirtualHosts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 12:39:41 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.