Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » Outgoing Email Server Setup
Tue, 26 May 2009 17:33 Go to next message
Hello all.

As a new user to VPS's and all things related, I'm shocked I've gotten as far as I have - even though setting up this stuff might seem easy to some.

I've gotten my domain up and running, with my web applications running and databases connected all fine. Had a little issues getting the domain to point to the VPS server and the nameservers setup, but a few searches in this form led me to the help I needed.

Next was setting up an email account to go with that domain. I have it all working for receiving, and the webmail applications work correctly. But I can't for the life of me figure out the outgoing server/connection settings.

I can send and receive from webmail, but my applications outside of the web (outlook, cellphone, etc.) will not send mail. They can receive however.

Settings that work for incoming are as follows, I've tried the same settings (and various others; ie. smtp.domainname.com) for outgoing but it isn't working.

Incoming Settings:
server: mail.domainname.com
username: me@domainname.com
password: generatedatrandon

I am on a reseller plan, using the lxadmin software to manage everything. I don't know much about DNS Records or anything (however, I've learned a lot getting my site up and running), but believe my DNS is correct... The MX record is:
domain.com MX 10 mail.domain.com

If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction, or help me out that would be excellent. I hope this is a simple issue, or simple fix.

Thanks for reading!

-Robert
Sun, 28 June 2009 17:30 Go to previous message
Many ISP's block the outgoing mail port 25, so you will need to set your server to another port to send mail. You can change the outgoing SMTP port number in the mailservers config, and reflect this change in your outlook account setup.

Rogers and Sympatico both block port 25 for example.

Previous Topic:sftp in Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit
Next Topic:.htaccess .htpasswd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 16 23:00:47 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.