Home » Linux OS and Software » Discussion » [SOLVED] SSH issue
Sat, 01 May 2010 16:43 Go to next message
Hello, everyone. I have a small problem with SSH'ing into my Arch Linux VPS.

The problem is that, though the ssh command will form a connection to the VPS, my root password isn't recognized. This happens both from an xterm and from the Web interface.

I've tried rebooting and even reinstalling the OS. Neither of those worked.

I don't have this problem with the CentOS Minimal template, which I've also tried.

I've browsed the Internet, especially the Arch forums and wiki, but there don't seem to be any instances of this problem that have anything to do with the SSH client or the local machine.

I understand the Arch template was updated very recently. I don't mean to be presumptuous, but could there be some issue with the new one?

I appreciate your time.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2010 00:51]

Sat, 01 May 2010 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are using a template that utilizes an "admin" login, such as a HIB plan...you should log in as "admin" and modify the sshd_config file to allow root logins if you MUST. I recommend against it.

A better option, in my opinion would be to create a "play" account...say...user <bob> and add them to the sudoers file after ensuring that sudo is installed.

If your configuration does not meet my assumption please reply and I will endeavor to help you further.
Sun, 02 May 2010 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry, I haven't articulated my problem very precisely.

Upon installing Arch Linux, I'm locked out of my VPS. The root password which is emailed to me upon installing the Arch template is rejected when I try to log in via any SSH client. As far as I'm aware, there are no other accounts or programs I could use. I'm effectively incapable of logging in, and of making any changes to the system's configuration files, sshd_config or otherwise.
Sun, 02 May 2010 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neku  is currently offline neku
Michael C. wrote on Sun, 02 May 2010 00:24

I'm sorry, I haven't articulated my problem very precisely.

Upon installing Arch Linux, I'm locked out of my VPS. The root password which is emailed to me upon installing the Arch template is rejected when I try to log in via any SSH client. As far as I'm aware, there are no other accounts or programs I could use. I'm effectively incapable of logging in, and of making any changes to the system's configuration files, sshd_config or otherwise.

I have the same problem... seems the template is broken.
Sun, 02 May 2010 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Change your root password via the VPSVille management interface at http://secure.vpsville.ca/login.
Sun, 02 May 2010 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing the root password didn't work. I get the same error message.
Mon, 03 May 2010 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new Arch template has a bug that won't allow the root password to be set externally by our software.

As a result, you will need to open a support ticket if you require the root password to be changed on your Arch server.

Tue, 04 May 2010 00:50 Go to previous message
Thank you all for your assistance. The support representative set the root password for me, and my VPS is working perfectly now.
Previous Topic:Update plan and location
Next Topic:Full out LAMP server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Dec 17 10:47:15 EST 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.