Home » Linux OS and Software » Discussion » Kernel Version
Mon, 11 October 2010 12:55
The version of the kernel my Gentoo VPS is running on is given below.

> uname -srvo
Linux 2.6.18-14-fza-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jan 5 17:36:46 UTC 2009 GNU/Linux

This is quite outdated and has caused me issues in the past and is causing me issues again. Essentially applications are using new features of the linux kernel and I have to keep programs out of data to prevent them from failing due to the old kernel.

Example, if I install the latest coreutils package the standard program 'touch' will fail to update the timestamps for files. The result is not pretty, practically nothing works anymore. (I managed to get my system back into a sane state though)

Are there any plans to update the kernel used by our VPSs? I was hopeful back in April where maintenance was scheduled to update kernel versions Toronto Maintenance April 19. Did this ever get done? I'm not sure what my kernel version was before this but it's still quite out of date.

Perhaps you have VPS nodes that are more up-to-date that I can migrate my serve to? That way I wouldn't have to worry about breaking my system whenever I install updates. Preferably the nodes would be located in Toronto.

Thanks,
Danger
Previous Topic:VPS & Cisco
Next Topic:Logging kernel messages ... or ... logging iptables messages
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 17 21:13:13 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.