Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » apt-get = help
Wed, 02 March 2011 12:56 Go to next message
Hi,
Im new to Linux, so I apologize if this comes off dumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

One of the reasons I chose Ubuntu was because its Easy to use, and apt-get is super cool well Ive tried four times on four fresh installs and it fails every time, at the same place.

Let me first tell you the commands Ive been using, and then Ill show you the output.

Sudo apt-get update This goes through fine.
Sudo apt-get upgrade this goes for a while until it hits bind9

Setting up bind9-host (1:9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up bind9utils (1:9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up bind9 (1:9.7.0.dfsg.P1-1ubuntu0.1) ...
#
/etc/init.d/bind9: 130: Cannot forkbind9
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d: 446: Cannot fork

The prompt goes away and leaves me with a blank space that I can type in, but nothing happens Im guessing that this is what happens when Linux crashes?

So my questions are.

Am I using apt-get wrong?
What am I doing wrong, why and what does it mean by cannot fork?
And lastly what is the blank space about, and is there anyway to fix it without going onto the web page and restarting the server?

Village Server Plan
Ubuntu 10.04

If you need anymore info Ill be more then happy to provide it.

Thanks again,
- J
Wed, 02 March 2011 18:38 Go to previous message
james wrote on Wed, 02 March 2011 12:56

Im guessing that this is what happens when Linux crashes?

This is not Linux crashing. This is a subprocess of the update run failing.

Am I using apt-get wrong?

No! You are using it correctly. Although, depending on the difference in version numbers an "apt-get dist-upgrade" might be in order.

What am I doing wrong, why and what does it mean by cannot fork?

Based in the "cannot fork", I'm going to guess that you are running out of memory. If you MUST (see below) temporarily increase your package and make the upgrade then return your package to the Village plan.

And lastly what is the blank space about, and is there anyway to fix it without going onto the web page and restarting the server?

When the subprocess is failing it is ending the process without any cleanup. This leaves you with a broken terminal session. At the blank line you can just exec the command, "reset", and it will reset your terminal. Also, sometimes a simple "clear" will suffice, but I'm pretty sure in this specific case a "reset" is in order.

This should give you a nice clean terminal with a new prompt.

This can manifest in many ways, you may see odd colours, implroperly terminated lines (ie, lines that skitter across the terminal window), or hear strange beeps when raw terminal data is spit at your shell app, such as telnet or putty.

Fear not! "reset" is your friend. Smile

Even if that does not work, there is rarely a need to reboot the VPS. Just end your current session, login again with a new terminal, kill the errant shell processes and move on with your day. This will be pretty rare though.

Village Server Plan
Ubuntu 10.04

Are you running your own DNS?

Do you need bind9?

If you are running your own DNS, concider using a slimmer DNS service.

Also, Ubuntu is fine for a desktop but take it from me, it's not at all suitable for a server. With a Village plan I emphatically recommend a Debian Minimal image. And don't worry, it has apt-get too, in fact, Debian is apt-get's home planet.

If you would like, tell me about the intended use of your VPS and I will provide some advice suited to your needs regarding which OS image to use and some simple software packages to keep memory usage low.

Later,
Chris
Previous Topic:How-To secure your VPS with iptables
Next Topic:apt-get Fails to fetch and 404 not found?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 22 18:23:34 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.