Home » Linux OS and Software » How-To » apt-get Fails to fetch and 404 not found?
Sun, 06 March 2011 13:54 Go to next message
Hello - very inexperienced user here.

I just had the Gnome remote desktop installed.

When I go to terminal and type "apt-get update" I get a bunch of "Failed to fetch" and "404 not found"

I also tried to install Firestarter with "apt-get install firestarter" and got the "failed to fetch" and "404 not found" as well.

Thanks for any help

Sun, 06 March 2011 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will likely need to update the repository lists found in /etc/apt/sources.list
Mon, 07 March 2011 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the Gnome Remote Desktop on Debian 4 etch? So the pointers in the sources.list should only point to etch?

I tried Debian 6 (no gnome, remote desktop etc) and was able to run the apt-gets without issue with the sources.list pointing to squeeze.

I would like to utilize the Gnome Remote Desktop via the NX etc..

If anyone has an updated sources.list they are using on the Gnome Remote Desktop I would be grateful.

Thanks

Mon, 07 March 2011 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my searches to find a valid sources.list for Deb Etch I found that Etch is no longer supported and therefore there won't be new security patches, etc..

If this is indeed correct how are those of you that are running the Gnome Remote Desktop updating?

Thanks
Tue, 08 March 2011 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We do recommend upgrading to Squeeze, and we will be updating the template shortly.

That said, etch is still being patched for security, you just need to point the sources to archive.debian.org such as:

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-security etch/updates main contrib non-free

Thu, 10 March 2011 15:18 Go to previous message
Ok. I went with Lenny and loaded Gnome and NoMachine. I don't believe NoMachine is yet supported for Squeeze?
Previous Topic:apt-get = help
Next Topic:How do I transfer files between 2 VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 22 18:13:45 EDT 2017
.:: Contact :: Home ::.