Home » Linux OS and Software » Security » GENTOO iptables: pkttype kernel built-in modules broken
Tue, 08 June 2010 11:56 Go to previous message
z0th  is currently offline z0th
Hi Guys...

I've been working on my firewall today and have run into an interesting little hitch trying to block broadcast packets using the 'pkttype' module.

# iptables -A INPUT -m pkttype --pkt-type broadcast -j DROP
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

now, ive tried several other NON-VIRTUAL gentoo systems running 2.6.30 or later, with a more recent version of iptables - and this rule is executed without error.

ive checked man, the pkttype module is in the documentation, and it doesnt seem to be a syntax problem (if anyone knows, please post!), and its not possible to load the "xt_pkttype" iptables module. ive been trying to figure out exactly what the problem is, this is what ive come up with so far.

• the "xt_pkttype" module is not enabled in the kernel config.
  • the "xt_pkttype" module was not fully implemented in that kernel version.

out of habit, iptables was one of the first things i installed when i first got the virutal gentoo box. as a result, my iptables command sets are likely clobbered. after speaking with a contact, the default for this kernel version is net-firewall/iptables-1.4.3.2. ive rolled the version back, but still no joy.

since gentoo is a source distribution, and not binary, you can upgrade the iptables version to take advantage of new features, and squashed bugs - but in this case, since the iptables modules are built into the kernel itself, no upgrades are possible.

is there any possibility of getting a gentoo kernel with the iptables sources built as modules and not right into the kernel binary?

[Updated on: Tue, 08 June 2010 14:05]

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Basic Firewall Script
Next Topic:Kloxo vps Firewall
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 20 19:29:12 EDT 2019
.:: Contact :: Home ::.